Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Create your own custom hot keys with AutoHotKey!

Cre
How cool would it be if you could make custom shortcuts to any program or website or location on your hard drive or create custom command lines in your videogames just by pressing a key or keys on your keyboard? Really cool! Well its possible! And free! AutoHotKey is a free program that works on any version of windows and it is very simple and user friendly for all the non-techies. For a list of the ridiculous amount of stuff you can do with AutoHotKey check out THIS PAGE. This is great!
The program is 6.2 MB which is pretty tiny and the amount of time it can save you is HUGE. So snag the program right HERE and then follow this quick walk thru and start making as many custom hotkey shortcuts as your lil heart desires. I recommend downloading the top option on this page because it is the most up to date:


So save the program and run the install file. Upon your installation completion and your first opening of the program, a window will ask if you want help getting started. Click yes.


It will then open up the sample script which is a document that you open in Notebook and you will use every time you want to create a new shortcut. So read it! It takes like 45 seconds, srsly.
Now, on to making your own custom key combinations. I highly recommend checking out the HotKeys Introduction and Simple Examples’ in the AutoHotkey Help section. It really is quite helpful.
All of your hotkeys must have at least 2 buttons or the script will not run. So here I will create a hotkey shortcut that will automatically open up my blog with the use of two buttons: Alt + t simultaneously. So I type in the script like so:


After you have typed in as many hotkeys as you want for now (there is no limit essentially), then close the program and then reopen it.
Now anytime I press ‘Alt’ and ‘t’ at the same time my default browser (Chrome) opens up directly to Tiggity. Cool! That is just one very simple command of hundreds that you can do using this program.
Alright so now I will create a hotkey to automatically open u Adobe Photoshop CS5, one for logging off and one for restarting my computer. Here are what the scripts looks like.


Now anytime I press Ctrl+Alt+p my computer opens up CS5. Anytime I press Ctrl+Alt+l my computer logs off and returns to the windows login screen and whenever I press Ctrl+Alt+r it closes down all open programs and restarts.
Check out the link I posted above for a list of the capabilities of this program. Enhance your gaming, organization, or just your convenience. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment